Representing your views since 2003

Notes from January meeting with FFC

23rd January 2024

Notes from January meeting with FFC

Our monthly meeting with the Club took place a little later than usual in January due to a clash with the away leg of the Liverpool semi-final. We now have an agreed set of notes which you can read below. In the meeting we returned to the topic of ticket pricing, this time in relation to our Cup fixtures, as well as other topics raised by members including sustainability, catering and the progress of the Riverside Stand.

We were very disappointed that the Club did not seem to understand the reasons for the anger expressed by many supporters over the ticketing arrangements and adult pricing for the Newcastle FA cup tie; it feels like this is a backward step from the suggestions they took on board for the Liverpool game. 

Members can rest assured that the Trust will continue to promote sensible, sustainable pricing for supporters, not least as we approach the time when season ticket prices for next season will be determined. The Club’s approach to the Liverpool game showed that we are making some progress in our campaign, even if it is slow progress, and we remain determined not to let #AffordableFulham impact Marco and the team on the pitch.

Ticket pricing is a campaign that goes wider than just Fulham and is a priority issue for the Football Supporters’ Association. We are particularly pleased to note the support of Newcastle United Supporters’ Trust and other sister Trusts as they battle with their own Clubs on pricing. In the meantime, we have reached out to a number of Fulham supporters’ groups as part of the broadening of #AffordableFulham to demonstrate to the Club that the concerns go far wider than just members of the Trust. We will keep you updated.

On Wednesday 16 January 2024 at 13.30, the Fulham Supporters’ Trust (FST) met with Fulham FC via video conference.

The Club was represented by:

  • Alistair Mackintosh (Chief Executive, AM)
  • Darren Preston, (Chief Operating Officer DP)
  • David Daly (Non-Executive Director, DD)
  • Carmelo Mifsud (Communications Director, CM)
  • Aimee McKenzie (Operations Director, AMc)
  • John D’Arcy (Head of Safety, JD)
  • Katy Brecht (Head of Ticketing, KB)
  • Nicola Walworth (Supporter Liaison Manager & Disability Liaison Officer, NW)
  • Glenn Sutton (Chief Profit Officer, GS)
  • Samuel Curteis (Supporter Relations Executive, SC)

The FST was represented by:


At our regular monthly meetings, Trust board members normally ask questions relating to as many topics as possible in the time available, based on responses from members to the advance notification of the meeting and our own observations from interacting with the wider supporter base. The Club then gives its position, which is discussed. These notes are therefore a statement of both points of view. The Trust continues to press both the Board’s and its members’ view at this meeting and in separate meetings.

Often members ask similar questions, and, in these cases, we try to summarise, provide the Club with feedback and gain as much useful information as possible in the time available. We also prioritise new and time-critical topics, whilst also seeking updates on longer running issues.

You can access notes of all previous meetings on our web site, including the most recent information on key topics not covered at this meeting.


The following topics were discussed:

SD opened the meeting by congratulating the Club on a number of good recent results across the first men’s and women’s team, U-21s and U-18s.


JC opened the discussion for the Trust and asked about how successful the Club felt the recent ticketing structure for Liverpool had been, and also asked whether the Club felt that they have been able to limit ticket sales to opposition fans in home areas of the ground. The Trust welcomed a number of aspects of the arrangements for the Liverpool games.

AM responded that he felt the Club have controls in place to stop away fans from purchasing tickets for home areas. But he added that it was inevitable that at times tickets may change hands after being sold by the Club. The removal of away fans can be difficult for Fulham staff and the Club wanted to avoid that whenever possible by stopping away fans from purchasing tickets in home areas. He warned that quite often tickets for sale on third party web sites did not actually exist, and were an attempt at a fraudulent transaction.

JC then went on to ask about the ticketing of the Newcastle game, which he would have expected to be cheaper than Liverpool, as a) the game was on terrestrial TV, b) it was not a semi-final, c) the game was being played at a more unsociable time and d) the attractiveness of Liverpool as the PL leaders. Yet the game was more expensive for some seats.

AM said ticket prices will always divide opinion, but the Club has made a choice for this game and it is in the interest of the finances of the Club overall. Fulham are keen to get more younger fans involved and 18–21-year-olds had lower ticket pricing for this match balanced by a small increase elsewhere. Attempting to get more younger fans involved is something the Trust fully support.

JC also asked about the decision not to have a window for season ticket holders to buy their own seats. This had been raised by many fans, through the Trust and on social media. Many felt this was a ‘kick in the teeth’ to Season Ticket Holders and many were extremely angry about it. Both Chelsea and Spurs, playing one day earlier than Fulham, had managed to organise such a window.

KB explained that due to the short turnaround, 11 days between the tickets going on sale and the day of the game (22 days for the Liverpool game), it would have put undue pressure on the small team, much smaller than at Chelsea or Spurs, in the ticket office and they would have found it very difficult to have implemented this for the Newcastle match. This was a very busy time for the ticket office with 3 home games in less than a week. 

AM said that he totally backed the ticket office and the criticism that has been aimed at them over ticketing recently has been completely unjust. Both SD and JC made the point that there was no suggestion from the Trust that the ticket office staff were doing anything other than a great job under difficult circumstances. The problem was with processes and policies.

JC ended by asking what progress had been made with digital ticketing, as this particularly could help with controlling touts. KB replied that there were still a number of issues that needed sorting out, especially in terms of fraud, before that could be taken forward.

back to topic list


SD asked what progress the Club was making around sustainability.

CM said that the Club had set up a working group which Tim Griffiths will be co-ordinating, and he will contact the Trust with more information. The Club is involved in the Green Football Weekend (3rd February) and one first team player has written a vegetarian recipe for inclusion in a cookbook being produced for that weekend. The Club have also joined BASIS – British Association for Sustainability in Sport – and they are hoping this will benefit the Club in their work moving forward. Travel options are being reviewed and there will be a web site article encouraging fans to reduce their carbon footprint. The Fulham Foundation are also linking with local schools and youth groups to explore opportunities to involve them in green thinking.

back to topic list


SN asked about issues raised by members in the Hammersmith End and the Riverside Stand. The issues in the Hammersmith End included overcrowding/congestion and bars not having sufficient supplies of food and beer at crucial times.

AMc responded for the Club that she felt improvements had been made with the introduction of extra stairs which had helped to reduce congestion, which the Trust agreed with. There has also been an increase in transactions which was thought to indicate that things have improved, but AMc is happy to look at any individual issues raised by Trust members. The Club is also looking at other ways to improve the concourse in the Hammersmith End, including removable shelving along the lower walkway.

back to topic list


SD asked about progress with the stand and when completion might be expected, and also raised the current state of facilities in the Riverside and what was the likelihood of improvement soon.

GS replied for the Club and was very positive that progress is being made and said to ‘watch this space’ for news. The Club is confident that the stand will be completed during the next season but unlikely to be finished fully in time for the start of the season in August. The Club is in discussion with a number of businesses for 10 outlets to open next season and is hoping to use as many local enterprises as possible to fill these spaces.

GS added that they are very excited at some of the businesses coming on board. The Club also pointed out a presentation made in November to the local community showing what the Riverside Stand will look like next year. This is the latest update. GS also said that fans can see from the graphics around the Riverside, which are true representations, what to expect when the stand fully opens.

SD also asked about progress on safe standing within the ground. DP responded that although this continues to be considered, quotes on cost had proved excessive and the Club is looking again at its options.

back to topic list


SD asked the Club how things were progressing with the FAB and asked if DD was still the Nominated Board Level Official (NBLO) who would sit on this Board.

DD confirmed he was still the Club’s NBLO. CM went on to say that progress was being made and the Club was happy that it will meet the deadline to have this up and running, and having met, before the end of the season.

back to topic list


In response to a member’s question the Club confirmed that it was too early to consider any testimonial celebrations for Tom Cairney and Tim Ream who have recently signed new deals which will take them beyond their 10th year with the Club.

There was just one further item around emergency phone numbers for away coaches which was tabled by SN and DP assured the Trust that this will be progressed outside the meeting.

back to topic list

The meeting closed at 14:15.

Best club and supporter relationship

Join us today to help make our collective voice louder

Join us